Recipes

Translate

Sunday 2 June 2013

First Harvest

   I'm relaxing with the laptop on my knees as I watch the French Open. Roger Federer has just staged a strong comeback against Giles Simon. It was close for a while. Now Serena Williams is demolishing an Italian player, Roberta Vinci. It's really "no contest" so I expect to see her in the final next weekend.

  


 Earlier today, in between rain showers, I picked the first rhubarb of the season. After a rainy month it has grown like crazy so there's lots still there. The stalks are rather skinny but the fruit at this time of year is good for pies and crumbles. Later in the summer I will use it for a relish.

    That's garlic poking up through the leaves - not sure if I planted it there in the fall or if it somehow migrated over the winter! 

  


 





The pie turned out well but I will put it in the freezer for the next time the family are over for a meal. The secret I find, with most fruit pies, is to sprinkle some flour in the pastry case before adding the fruit. That makes for a nice thick filling. I have to admit to using a pastry mix, but really, the mix is just as good, if not better, than I could make myself. My biggest failing, especially with rhubarb is not making it sweet enough, so today I added 2 tablespoons more of sugar than I thought was necessary. We shall see if that turns out to be sweet enough.

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I love your rhubarb pie! I have some ready to pick...think I will use that rhubarb cake recipe you gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete