Recipes

Translate

Monday 10 June 2013

Easy Pickled Onions

   I can't remember where I found this recipe but have a feeling it was from Stefano Faita's cooking show. James and I watch it on the days he's with me - for some reason he loves the show (although when asked he often says he wouldn't eat any of the recipes) and I must admit Stefano is an amusing character. His approach to cooking is quite casual and he does produce healthy, interesting dishes, and makes it look super easy.

   I love pickled onions and have tried several recipes with mixed success. However, this one is so easy, and the end result so tasty, that they don't stay around long. Instead of leaving the onions whole, they are finely sliced and suitable for spreading on barbecued meats as a condiment. Although the recipe recommends using them within 1 week, I have eaten them after a longer time and they are still good. Instead of the suggested seasonings, I substitute about 1 tsp. of pickling spices.

Pickled Red Onions

1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. peppercorns
2 large red onions, thinly sliced

Bring vinegar, water, sugar and seasonings to a boil. Add red onions and remove from heat. Let cool and keep in fridge for up to one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment