Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 5 June 2013

Rhubarb Recipes

   Now that  I can start picking my bountiful supply of rhubarb, here are two recipes that I have unearthed from my binder collection. These are recipes that I have gleaned from many sources and it is fascinating to read through them and remember where and from whom they have come. I even have one my daughter pencilled in when she was around 8 or 9, complete with creative spelling and one ingredient that is completely indecipherable, with the comment "Yum-yum!".

Rhubarb Fool

8 oz. fresh rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut in in 1/2 inch slices
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbspns. orange juice
2 tbspns. Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt

Bring rhubarb, sugar and orange juice to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Partially cover pan and cook until rhubarb is very soft, about 6 minutes. Mix in liqueur and refrigerate until cold, about 15 minutes.
Alternate layers of rhubarb mixture and yogurt in 2 large wine goblets or dessert dishes. Using a small knife, swirl mixtures together. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.

Rhubarb Bread

Loaf
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp. grated orange zest
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Topping
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tbspn. butter, softened
1 tsp. grated orange zest

Combine brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, egg and orange zest in a large bowl. Mix well.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to sugar mixture, mixing until smooth. Fold in rhubarb and pecans. Spread batter in a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
Prepare topping by combining ingredients with a fork. Sprinkle over batter.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a rack and cool completely.


2 comments:

  1. We also have a great crop this year! Elliot and I have already decided to make the loaf...but I must try the Rhubarb Fool since I loved it so much as a child LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut the quantities for the loaf in half to fill a loaf pan but if you double it you can bake it in a 9 inch square pan which is what I usually do.

    ReplyDelete