Recipes

Translate

Monday 24 July 2017

Durstein, Melk and the Wachau Valley

   Much cooler today and some rain this afternoon as I walked home from Bridge. I had several good hands and made the contract each time - my partner, Marie, had a Grand Slam - her first ever!

   I had to look in my diary to see where we went after Vienna - it was Durstein, an interesting town in the wine region of Bavaria, and a hike to a ruined castle overlooking the town and the river. After lunch on the boat we arrived at another town in the Wachau valley, Melk, where we visited a monastery. Bus there but we were given the option of walking back through the town, which I did, getting back in time for afternoon tea. As if we don't eat enough during the day! In the evening there was a lecture on the history and origins of wine. The weather was much cooler but still pleasant.

Interior of the church.

Exterior of the church.

View over Durstein to the Danube.
Entrance to the monastery in Melk.

Didn't quite make it all the way up to the ruined castle.




No comments:

Post a Comment