Recipes

Translate

Saturday 23 September 2023

A Sign That Summer is Really Over

   Stuck at home as the pools guys were coming to close up the pool. I didn't really need to be here but I like to make sure everything goes in the right place. They didn't get here until 3:30 and were finished by 5:30. Luckily I had lots of things planned to fill the day. First I put on a load of laundry then went for a walk around the neighbourhood as I was pretty sure I would be back before they arrived.

Ready for the oven.

They rose nicely - I will have one later tonight!


    I had put on a batch of yogurt to ferment last night so I dealt with that next this morning. It takes 16 hrs. overnight in the InstaPot. I have read somewhere that you can also use a slow cooker. After it was ready I let it drain until this afternoon and it came out nice and thick. I decided to use three quarters of a cup of the whey to make scones and if they turn out well may make another batch tomorrow with the rest. It seems a shame to throw it out so if anyone knows of other uses for it, please let me know.



First they gave the pool a final clean then removed the diving board and ladders.


Next they lowered the water level to below the skimmer and dried out the lines.
Finally they turned off all the equipment and got the cover unpacked.



This is what I will be looking at for the next 9 months until they come back in May to reverse the process! Sad times.

   Now the guys have gone and I will get started on dinner - chicken thighs in a tomato sauce. Still using up tomatoes but not so many ripening now. I may have to bring in the green ones soon as the nights are getting cooler.

10 comments:

  1. Those scones look wonderfully tasty. Hope they taste as well as they look. Sorry I don't know what else to do with the whey, hopefully someone else has some great ideas for you. Glad that the pool people got everything done so quickly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good but I think better with actual yogurt in them.

      Delete
  2. Wow. You only get to use your pool for three months?
    I must try making yoghurt again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a shame but it gets too expensive to heat it once the nights cool off.

      Delete
  3. Yesterday was the pool closing day here, too. Husband does it with a little help from myself and our son. - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always sad when the cover goes on. Maybe as the climate changes we will be able to use it longer.

      Delete
  4. When you bring your green tomatoes in, try putting them in a brown paper bag with an apple in a cool dry place. Check on them once a week, dispose of any that look as if they are going to go bad. I have had some success in doing this to make them ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip, Pat! I'll give it a try. One year I was still eating the ones indoors in December!

      Delete
  5. Have you ever thought of getting a sort of permanent covering building over it so you can use if for longer - or isn't that possible. How lovely to have a pool at all though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the cost of heating it once the weather cools that is prohibitive

    ReplyDelete