Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Marmalade

   While shopping in the local hardware store the other day for a new Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (see last week's post "Today's Excitement), I happened across an exciting new cookbook which I couldn't resist, especially as it was on sale for $13!

    "The Complete Book of Preserves and Pickles: jams, jellies, chutneys and relishes"  - all things I like to have on hand to spice up a meal. It's a beautiful, full colour book with many inviting recipes and I couldn't wait to get it home and try something.

    My  first attempt was quite successful - lemon and ginger marmalade. I happened to have a couple of large lemons kicking about and in three hours, with very little effort, I had two jars of tart, juicy marmalade. It was nearly a disaster, though. While the marmalade was coming close to the setting point (a crucial and exact temperature of 220 degrees F) and I was cleaning up, I cut my finger on the very sharp knife I had used to slice the lemons!

    Soon blood was dripping on everything so I had to rush for a couple of band aids. By the time I had staunched the flow, the marmalade was almost 300 degrees, so it is a very stiff mixture but still completely palatable. It is described as a tart, slightly bitter recipe and lives up to its description.  

   I can't wait to try some of the chutneys and relishes. Already I have had someone recommend two of the chutneys (thanks, Sue) and will add the required ingredients to my shopping list this weekend.

  BTW, my cut finger was not as bad as it looked at first and is healing nicely.

2 comments: