Recipes

Translate

Friday 19 April 2013

The New Recipe

   A couple of months ago I got a recipe for Butter Chicken which I make frequently. But I now have another great recipe that comes, via the Internet, from Janet and Greta Podloski, the "Looney Spoons"  writers. It's also Indian based and uses chicken thighs which I almost always have in the freezer.

Coconut Curry Chicken

2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 tsps. minced garlic
1 tbsp. each grated ginger root, curry powder and garam masala
1 can light coconut milk
3 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsps. brown sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups peeled, diced sweet potato
1 cup green peas

Brown chicken pieces on both sides. Cook onions until softened, add ginger root, garlic, curry powder and garam masala. Mix well. Add rest of ingredients down to salt. Cook and stir until bubbling. Stir in sweet potatoes. Return chicken, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add green peas and cook another 5 minutes.

Note: I left the chicken pieces whole and kept them in the pan while I cooked and added the other ingredients. You can also cut the chicken into small pieces. I also added a cornstarch and water slurry (1 tsp. cornstarch and 3 tsps. water) just before the peas and cooked, stirring, until the sauce thickened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment