Recipes

Translate

Monday 20 October 2014

Putting the garden to bed

   Although the weather has been pretty dreary for the last few days, I have managed (in between rain showers) to get the last few garden chores done. Yesterday I planted the overwintering garlic cloves, nice and deep so the squirrels don't dig them up, turned off the outside tap and put away the hose and watering can. All the hanging baskets are indoors and we shall see which survive until Spring. The only task remaining is to cover the roses with compost. My compost bin is almost full and it will be good to dig out some of the finished compost to make room for the leaves which are already falling off the trees.

   Today I trimmed some evergreens but they should really be cut right down as they have outgrown their location, and then some! Not  a job I am keen to tackle right now. I would rather be indoors with a good book which is what I am currently doing. Dinner tonight is leftover ribs which I barbecued yesterday. They were delicious and there's enough for two more meals. No dessert tonight as I pigged out on chocolate cookies last night and went to bed feeling very guilty (and stuffed).

    I am very disappointed that the "Outlander" series is over. It seemed as if it had only just begun. I think there were only 5 or 6 episodes. Seemingly we have to wait until next April for the second season.
A colourful bush in my back yard.
 
As well as brilliant leaves it has lots of berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment