Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 15 October 2014

A Day At Home

   I had thought of golfing today but woke up to overcast skies and wet underfoot, so decided not to chance it. It drizzled on and off all morning and is still threatening a heavier downpour this evening. The temperature is still mild for mid October, 17C.

   I managed to keep busy - got a loaf in the bread machine first thing, finally vacuumed the family room (the carpet looks so much better, I had been thinking it needed cleaning but I may put that off for a while) and took my bike down to the drug store for a prescription refill in between rain showers.

    When I got back I made a huge pot of Winter Minestrone soup from Giada's cookbook. I used Swiss chard and parsley from the garden, beans and lots of vegetables but had no pancetta, a key ingredient in her recipe. It didn't seem to affect the taste - it was quite yummy. The secret ingredient was a rind of parmesan cheese which definitely rounded out the flavour. I had it for lunch with a toasted tomato and cheese croissant.

    Tonight I am braising a shoulder lamb chop in tomatoes left over from preparing the soup. I will also add the rest of the beans - that's the problem in cooking for one, everything comes in too large containers. So I have to organize meals around using everything up. I will also add some mushrooms later and have it with the rest of the quinoa I cooked earlier this week. Still have some of the almond apple cake to finish too!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment