Recipes

Translate

Tuesday 28 October 2014

A New Class

   It has rained on and off most of today but I didn't mind - I started my new winter activity today - bridge lessons! When I was at the Recreation Centre last week to vote in the Advance poll, I picked up a brochure advertising all the activities available for seniors. There are several drop-in activities but I discovered that free bridge lessons are offered on Tuesdays so I signed up for them and went there this morning. There are three classes, the first on bidding for beginners, the second on conventions (I skipped that as it was for more experienced players) and the third  was "Play of the Hand" where we actually got to deal hands, bid on them and play them out. I watched for the first part then got to play a couple of hands. It is coming back to me, but slowly (it's been at least 20 years since I last played) and a lot of the terms are new. It may take me a while to get up to speed but I have signed up for all the winter sessions.

   Yesterday the grandkids were here (a P.A. day in York region schools) and kept me hopping. James and I made soup for lunch (Elliot made the devilled eggs and Natalie helped with the sandwiches), they singlehandedly decorated a gingerbread Hallowe'en house, we planted crocus bulbs, visited the library, and spent an hour at the park. Luckily it was quite mild and I took along the tennis raquets. Elliot had fun hitting the balls over the fence although I told him the idea was to keep the ball in the blue court. He has quite good eye-hand coordination whereas Natalie had trouble connecting with the ball. James just chased the balls around the court. Even with all these activities we still had time left over so I let them use my computer for the last hour before Judy arrived to pick them up. After they left I had a nap!

    Dinner tonight is the leftover Tuscan chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. Just a matter of some chopping and reheating. Easy-peasy, just the way I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment