Recipes

Translate

Monday 20 May 2013

Victoria Day

   There's been some talk about renaming this holiday but, for now, it's still Victoria Day, commemorating (I think) Queen Victoria's birthday. Tennis this morning at the Don Mills Club and, wonders of wonders, I lucked out in the lucky draw and won a tennis racquet, unstrung, but, nevertheless, a huge prize! This is the first time I've won anything anywhere more substantial than a can of tennis balls or a bottle of wine. We also had a very nice lunch, all for $2. Can't complain about that.

   I finished planting this afternoon and, in the process of hanging baskets and pulling weeds I walked by the lilac bush. What a perfume! Too bad the blossoms only last for a few days but, soon the lilies will be up and they have an even more powerful perfume.

    It was an afternoon for sitting in the shade reading and I came across an anecdote that really made me chuckle. It was in Francis Mayes book, "Every Day in Tuscany" which I am rereading and goes like this: she is talking about "carpe diem" (seize the day) and relates how her Aunt Hazel   "seized my grandmother's furs and jewelry during the funeral she was "too upset" to attend, By the time we trailed in, her Lincoln was packed." What gall!
 
   After a substantial lunch (breaded chicken, green salad and potato salad, cake and trifle), I plan to go light and have an avocado and grapefruit salad for dinner. Tomorrow is another meal out for the RWTO luncheon, Wednesday is the last night for the Petronella group, with snacks and treats after, then Thursday I have two meals out: lunch following the RTO AGM (free if you attend the meeting) and dinner after the AGM of ETFO ( $10 for a quite substantial meal - I chose salmon) . This week will go down in history as one of overeating. Time to start that diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment