Recipes

Translate

Monday 27 May 2013

Planting Potatoes

Potatoes - Day 1
   I'm trying something new this year: container potatoes. These come in the form of wizened up potatoes from last year that have started to sprout "eyes". I did as instructed and cut each potato into 2 or 3 chunks, each with a couple of sprouts, and planted them in layers in a container with drainage holes. I used "Black Earth" from No Frills as the growing medium and will carefully document their progress over the summer.

   A major problem was where to keep the container as I am a bit tight for space in my back yard. They do, however, need a sunny spot so I settled on the area behind the house which, although it doesn't get sun all day, should get enough late afternoon sun to keep them happy. Time will tell!  I will have to keep reminding myself to water them regularly as that's an area of my garden I rarely visit and tend to neglect. One thing's for sure, the container is too heavy to move now that it's filled so they will have to stay there for this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment