Recipes

Translate

Sunday 19 May 2013

A Day of Gardening

  Yesterday was grass cutting but today I finally got started on bedding the plants I bought last week. First the tomato plants went in, just four this year: one Early Girl, one Super Star, one yellow grapes and one cherry tomatoes. I put in just a little fertilizer as last year I had lots of greenery but little fruit. We shall see if that makes a difference. They look pretty puny at the moment but have a few flowers getting ready to open.


Fuschia
   I also filled my hanging baskets, the three on the front porch with New Guinea Impatiens (got a gorgeous deep pink for one of them) and the one in the back with two fuschia plants which hang rather dramatically over the edge of the basket. This is a first attempt with this particular arrangement so it will be interesting to see how they develop (or not!)

   I had an interesting find at the Garden Centre - garlic chives. I have had a chives plant that came up every year since I moved here but last year it was completely overwhelmed by mint. I dug up the mint in the fall but was unable to save the chives. So we will see if this one establishes itself in a new spot. The mint has come back but not quite so abundantly. I also bought Italian parsley this year. I usually get the curly sort and sometimes it will appear the next year as well. But most recipes call for Italian parsley so I will see how it turns out.

   Turned off the gas fire for good as the weather seems to have settled into Spring/Summer mode. I feel I have accomplished a lot today so don't feel guilty about vegging this evening. I have a good book and there are a couple of shows on TV I want to watch. Dinner will be easy, broiled salmon and quinoa with peas. And, probably, a glass of vino!

3 comments:

  1. The kids and I did our planting today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you got any seed potatoes you can share? I'd like to try them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't want to brave the garden centres today...but am going to Sheridan on the way home to pick some up on Wednesday or Thursday. Sure there will be enough to share.

    ReplyDelete