Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 31 August 2022

Beez Begone!

     Much as I hated to do it, the bees had to go. The team fixing my deck refused to complete the job until I had the bee problem "taken care of". I think I mentioned that one of them was stung while they were working on raising the slabs. 

   So, reluctantly, I called a bee expert to see what could be done. He surmised it was a small colony of bumble bees, not honey bees, which would have been a very different story.  Fortuitously, when he arrived no bees were in sight and he opined (optimistically) that they were all out foraging. So he doused the area with a powder which (he said) would discourage them from returning to the nest. We shall see! I didn't ask about any bees still under the deck. Less said the better. My grandson, the environmentalist, was very annoyed with me for not finding a more bee-friendly method of removing them.

      You can see he's not getting too close just in case.


   A final application to the problem area. I will check for any activity tomorrow and he promised to return to give it another dose if needed.

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes it just has to be done - a shame though.
    I hope the workman was OK - bee stings can be very nasty. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were none about while he was working and none since so I think they have moved on.

      Delete
  2. Your rose in your header is very beautiful. That is too bad about the bees. Hopefully you get get the rest of the pool work done without incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any died in the process as far as I could tell. The deck will be finished next week.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully the bees get the message and move on. The pool looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be gone but now we have wasps! Luckily not around the deck.

      Delete
  4. I do hope that works for you. Sometimes a bee friendly method just does not work or is not able to be done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until the guys come back and finish the job.

      Delete