Recipes

Translate

Friday 19 August 2022

Last of the Rhubarb

    I picked a few rather heat-depleted stalks of rhubarb yesterday and made some rhubarb chutney. It boiled and bubbled away for an hour or so, steaming up the kitchen and producing a rather pungent aroma from the cider vinegar, but finally it was ready and bottled. Almost two jars from what should have rightfully been consigned to the compost pile! I am rather chuffed as I do love chutney on a lot of things.


     Having said that, I still have some green tomato chutney from last fall so that should be consumed first since there are sure to be an abundance of green tomatoes to pick before the first frost.

   The rain has passed us by again except for 10 minutes of a light sprinkle, not enough to be of any help in the garden. Nothing in the forecast for the next few days either. It has finally been officially designated a "drought" in our area! 

8 comments:

  1. We like chutney, too, but I have never mastered the art of bottling anything. Maybe this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a very basic method and have never (touch wood!) had any failures.

      Delete
  2. I like a sweet non spicey chutney so maybe rhubarb would be perfect. From the previous post, those sunflowers are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are in a very fertile spot so I think that's why they have grown so tall. The chutney just had cinnamon and allspice so is quite mild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chutney sounds amazing - well done! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy, I make different kinds as the vegetables are available.

      Delete
  5. Heat depletion seems to be a theme of the blog posts I am catching up on today. Hopefully autumn won't keep us waiting too long for milder temps. Both rhubarb and green tomato chutney sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still definitely summer here - no sign of autumn yet.

    ReplyDelete