Recipes

Translate

Friday 2 September 2022

Afternoon Tea

     A lovely time at the Old Curiosity Tea Room this afternoon with my two favourite ladies - Judy and Natalie! We ate until we had no more room and took the rest home. I had prepared by eating only a small breakfast and managed to avoid most of the treats at the tennis social this morning, so was quite hungry.

Situated on Main Street, Markham, it's a picturesque and popular spot.

We each chose a different tea and had our own pot. Mine was a herbal blend, very refreshing!
Trying to look very genteel!

The sandwich stand. There was something for every taste. My favourite was the cheese and Branston Pickle, Natalie's was the egg slice and Judy's was the cucumber and mint (instead of watercress).



And, of course, the dessert stand. Judy's favourite, Empire biscuits as well as shortbread cookies and scones with jam and clotted cream - clotted cream first, then the jam in case you're wondering.

    No dinner tonight although I may have a small snack before bed.


15 comments:

  1. Oh that looks just wonderful! We used to go to tea rooms when the kids were young - the best one closed years ago. They served scones shaped like tea pots! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been fun, Jenn. I was surprised Natalie wanted to join us but she's still quite a young teenager and likes to do things with her mom.

      Delete
  2. Clotted cream. I haven't had that since I was in the UK eons ago. I haven't seen it in Australia. What an amazing spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me neither. Here you can get creme fraiche which is similar. It was a lot of food but we pretty much ate it all.

      Delete
  3. What a nice treat - I could get into that spread! Thanks for your comment on my neglected blog. I do hope to get back into it soon. Everything is fine, I'm just taking a little break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that, Wilma, your photos are always interesting. It was quite a special afternoon without the males of the family as they tend to monopolize the conversations.

      Delete
  4. Oh. Yum. Calories here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was rather carb heavy!

      Delete
  5. Oh, my. That looks just amazing . . . mmmm. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a lovely treat and good company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks so delicious. I'm glad you had a lovely afternoon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly did. A nice treat for daughter and granddaughter before they head back to school next week.

      Delete
  8. Oh what fun - I just love going for afternoon tea. You certainly had the perfect company for such a treat. Who knows this might become a tradition for you three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely should! However, it will have to be a special treat as it's quite expensive.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a lovely spot for tea for you ladies. We are unsophisticated about tea here, but it seems to me I just read on a blog in the last few days that the clotted cream and jam are the other way around. ;-)

    ReplyDelete