Recipes

Translate

Monday 20 June 2022

What Next?

    What was to be a quiet uneventful day today, turned out to be anything but. My Bridge game today (and next week's too) was cancelled so all I had planned was to do my early morning workout, make some phone calls and walk down to the post office to check the mail box. This is the one maintained by the Retired Teachers group I belong to and is for membership cheques which are starting to arrive.

   After my workout I remembered that yesterday I had noticed one of the front tires on my car looked a little low so I went out to check it. Holey Moley - it was right down on the rim. No way could I drive with it like that! So that was my first phone call, to Roadside Assistance which, fortunately, covered the cost of towing it to the garage.

   While waiting for the car to go, I got back on the phone and made an appointment for the electrician to come and sort out the wiring to my thermostat. He's coming on Thursday. Next I phoned and paid my car insurance with my credit card and by that time it was lunch. After my nap I had a stroll to the drug store to check my blood pressure (surprisingly low, considering) and pick up the mail then relaxed in the garden.

   The rest of the afternoon was a little bit more peaceful except for a call from the garage to say the tire needed to be replaced and they recommended replacing the other front tire at the same time. This made sense so I agreed but then there needed to be re-alignment. Rather a large (and totally unexpected) bill by the time it was all totaled up. Hopefully there will be no more expenses associated with the car for a while.

   The car was ready around 5:30 and an Uber driver arrived to shuttle me to the garage (at no cost, and rightly so since I was faced with a sizeable bill). I stopped in at the liquor store on the way home to stock up on my favourite summer cooler as we are expecting another heat wave tomorrow.

   After I got home I saw there was an email message from the credit card company to say I had exceeded my credit limit and must make a payment "toute suite". So my bank balance is considerably depleted - a fitting end to a not so great day!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, ear, what a day. You're wise though - one cannot risk dodgy tyres and, once done, they should be OK for years.
    I'm glad you got some time to relax in the garden. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did have an expensive day. Good thing you noticed the car being lower & checked the tires, I can only imagine what might have happened if you drove with that tire - a new rim would have been in the billing at the garage! Fingers crossed that the electrician does sort out the A/C wiring.
    Coolers by the pool, what a perfect way to welcome summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I probably got off quite easily. I do have a propensity for summer coolers, they go down very smoothly!

      Delete
  3. Hope it is easier - and cheaper - for the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so. I'm not expecting any other expenses to raise their ugly heads!

      Delete
  4. I was thinking what a productive day but then saw how much it cost you. Not good but at least your tyres are roadworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is always something. X

    ReplyDelete