Recipes

Translate

Sunday 28 July 2024

A Busy Sunday

   Tennis at 8:00 a.m. today and it was quite pleasant. However, by the time we stopped it was really heating up. We plan to keep playing early for a few more weeks yet. Straight into the pool when I got home before having a late breakfast. I did eat a banana to sustain me while we were playing.

   Used up what may be the last zucchini today, there don't seem to be any more setting. That will be a disappointment as last year they went on forever! I made a chocolate zucchini cake which I will take to the tennis social on Tuesday. It turned out well and I cut it into 36 small squares so everyone can try it. That used 1 cup, grated. Then I cubed the rest and it went into the dinner casserole along side a lamb chop and other vegetables. That will probably do me two days. It really was too hot to have the oven on but at least I had two things to bake. Now the A/C is working overtime!

   The tomatoes are coming on gangbusters. As predicted, every meal at the moment has tomatoes in some form or another. My favourite lunch is Panzanella which is an Italian tomato and bread salad in which the bread soaks up all the juices from the tomato and the vinaigrette. I toss in other veggies, olives, chunks of cheese or whatever needs eaten up. Yummy! A gigantic tomato  went into tonight's casserole with the other veggies so it will be more like a stew, I think. 

    I didn't sit out very long after my swim today as it was just too hot. I have to cut the grass this evening but I will wait until the sun goes down. It will still be a hot, sticky job!

6 comments:

  1. We can never tell if the harvest is going to be plentiful or sparse - what a disappointment for you The tomatoes sound great though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice today there is what looks like one more zucchini - still very small.

      Delete
  2. I like the sounds of that bread salad. Over the weekend I was house sitting the one with the pool & it was glorious being able to dangle in the water for a few hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too hot again to sit outside after my swim. Enjoy your house-sitting!

      Delete
  3. I really need to try that salad. It sounds absolutely lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good way to use up bread that's getting a bit stale. I'm sure there are lots of recipes for Panzanella online.

      Delete