Recipes

Translate

Thursday 4 July 2024

Strawberry Fields For Ever

    Hot and humid today. I was out early on a hunt for strawberries but I had missed the "pick-your-own" season by a couple of weeks. Don't know where my head was!

   I found a farmer's market that had flats of 6 punnets, local berries but much more than I would have paid to pick them myself. I figure I paid $14 for the luxury of not having to bend over the plants and grovel for berries. Also, quite a few were spoiled whereas when you pick yourself you make sure you only take the perfect berries!

   I made two batches of jam and have quite a few berries left for eating. The second batch was half rhubarb which I have an abundance of at the moment. Adding in the sugar I used, I figure each jar cost about $2.50, a bit less than buying at the store. I had a few left from last year so will have more than enough to use myself and give away as hostess gifts. My friends really like my homemade jam! 

No comments:

Post a Comment