Recipes

Translate

Friday 5 July 2024

The End of the Strawberries

   Hot and humid again. I went to tennis early (as did many others) but by 10:15 I was done. A few managed to hang on until noon but I spent the rest of the morning in the clubhouse watching Wimbledon or chatting to other dropouts!

   It was a two swim day, first when I got home from the tennis courts and again after doing some gardening. By then it had clouded over enough to be able to stay outside but it was still pretty humid so I was quite sweaty. The rhyme says that "Horses sweat, men perspire and women gently glow" but I was definitely sweating!

   I used up the last of the strawberries in a crumble with more rhubarb and will have that for dessert over the next couple of days. It's really too hot to have the oven on but needs must!

10 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying Wimbledon too - by TV . The weather in the UK remains chilly and wet, so thank goodness for the roof in Centre and No 1
    Having my own pool would be heaven
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helps when the heat and humidity spike. Only one Canadian left in the Wimbledon field.

      Delete
  2. Strawberries and rhubarb are such a wonderful combination, aren't they? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly enhance each other - the tart and the sweet.

      Delete
  3. Harvey really likes strawberry/rhubarb jam. Since he transplanted my rhubarb, I can't make it this year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame. Hopefully it will come back strong next year.

      Delete
  4. I've never tried strawberries and rhubarb together before. It sounds delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use equal amounts but add a bit of extra sugar.

      Delete
  5. I haven't found any deals with the strawberries this year - SO expensive in our region that only one basket has been purchased & they were enjoyed as shortcakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seemingly they were done here by the middle of June.

      Delete