Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 24 July 2024

Technology!

    I tried to use my credit card this morning while doing my weekly grocery shop and it was declined. This is a card that has never given me problems before but it repeatedly was rejected. Luckily, I had another card so was able to use it. When I got home I checked online and it appeared to be OK so called the company. They were able to confirm that the card was in good standing and couldn't explain why it was rejected. Their only solution was to try using it again to see what happens. Meanwhile I didn't get my PC points or redeem some to reduce the bill. Very frustrating! Has this ever happened to you?

    I have a couple of good books to recommend. The first is "Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus, a light-hearted and satirical look at romance and friendship through the eyes of a chemist. I really enjoyed it. The other was a bit heavier, dealing with death and loss of loved ones, but don't let this put you off as it is well worth the read. It's "Dear Edward" by Ann Napolitano. I plan to propose it for next year's book club.

   Now I have finally run out of my summer collection of good reads so will have to start scouring the library shelves to tide me over until September. Any suggestions will be gladly accepted!

14 comments:

  1. Try "remarkably Bright Creatures" by Shelby Van Pelt. Google it to get an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loblaws is having lots of trouble these days. The powers that be (government) is looking into it all, especially the optimum points issues etc. Jean in Manitoba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of that. maybe it's heading east.

      Delete
  3. Very frustrating re the card. How odd - I hope that doesn't happen again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had that problem, but I did have a newly issued credit card that got rejected every time I tried to use it. The company decided that it probably had a faulty chip and issued a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one thing I considered but I used it today no problem.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had that problem with my credit cards. I hope it does not happen to you again. It is a good thing you had another card to pay for your bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been very embarrassing to have to leave all my groceries on the counter and walk out!

      Delete
  6. It seems as if there are more and more problems with cards while shopping now. I had trouble once at our Co-op, but luckily just like you had a another card. Then there was the time the terminals went down and all they could accept was cash. Had to leave the groceries, run to the bank for cash and then come back and pay.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Technology is great - as long as it works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Dear Edward and really like it too. I haven't read Lessons in Chemistry yet but want to.
    I just finished Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand and like it.
    I like to read her in the summer as her books are set in Nantucket.
    I read an old Joanna Trollope a few weeks ago, "Other People's Children" which I really liked. I like her. I think you've mentioned her in the past so maybe I got the idea for that book from you lol
    I also like Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarity.
    Have you read the Ruth Galloway series by Ellie Griffiths? They are good. I'm almost done the series and will be sorry when it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all these great suggestions, we seem to like similar authors, don't we? I just read two of the Ruth Galloway mysteries and have requested another from the library. Can't wait to get into it as I enjoyed the others. My first try at Ellie Griffiths.

    ReplyDelete