Recipes

Translate

Friday 31 December 2021

Hogmanay

    In Scotland Hogmanay, New Year's Eve, is actually a bigger celebration than Christmas - at least it was when I lived there 50+ years ago! People went from house to house after midnight with a bottle of whiskey to toast the new year with friends and family.

   There are several other customs linked to Hogmanay but the one I am most aware of was the "First Foot". This was the first person to enter your house in the new year. It had to be a tall dark-haired stranger. This  dates back to the time of Viking raids as Scandanavian invaders usually had fair skin and hair. So it was safe to allow the dark-haired visitor into your home. 

Getting ready to welcome in the New Year with some bubbly! Prosecco and orange juice.

   I probably won't manage to stay awake until midnight but my hope for 2022 is that it is a massive improvement on 2021!


10 comments:

  1. Hoping the same! Happy and Healthy New Year to you. Cheers, Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, Chris.

    I was married into a Scottish family and well remember the knees up that was New Year. I'm rather glad those parties are well behind me now.

    Have a great day to start off what I hope will be a great New Year for us all. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sincerely hope 2022 is an improvement on 2021!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year Chris. Let's hope that familiar in looks stranger is a return to normal life so let's definitely welcomed the dark stranger into 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had my First Foot yet. Hope it is the repairman to finally fix my oven!

      Delete
  4. I hope you have a wonderful New Year Chris.

    Since we don't get many visitors it might be awhile before we get a dark haired visitor...especially since I can't count my husband.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can count him - just send him out to return across the threshold!

      Delete