Recipes

Translate

Sunday 27 February 2022

Two Tasty Meals

   I have become very bored with my own cooking during the pandemic and have been desperately trying to "up the ante" on meals recently. One day I made a lasagna using broiled eggplant instead of the noodles. Another good meal was a cabbage casserole, like cabbage rolls but much easier. I did make cabbage rolls too as the cabbage went on forever!

    Yesterday I had some Air Miles points to use so decided to splurge on scallops. They are an awful price here (I got four big ones for just under $10) as we are so far from the ocean, but my points covered that. Everything else I had in the house so it wasn't an expensive meal but Oh, so good! 

    I seared the scallops in butter, then cooked some green onions, mushrooms and red pepper in the remaining butter. Then I made a cheese sauce and returned the scallops and vegetables to the pan to cook a bit more. A final sprinkle of cheese on top and some green beans on the side made it all delicious and a very nice change. That was meal#1.

   There was quite a bit of cheese sauce left over (I always make too much) so I saved it and, this morning, made Eggs Benedict for breakfast. What a treat that was with orange juice and coffee. I skipped the slice of ham and just had it on toast but have to say it was delicious.  That was meal #2. Tonight is just some leftovers from the freezer as I have had quite enough treats for this weekend.

15 comments:

  1. Ooooh, scallops! All the meals sound delicious. I am tired of my own cooking, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I have enough points I plan to get lobster - haven't had it in years!

      Delete
  2. we are fortunate to have quite good seafood shops here. I am always surprised at how expensive it's getting but I guess overfishing, exports to countries that shan't be named and contrary weather don't help. Your eggs benny sound perfect for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually it's just a boiled egg for breakfast on a Sunday so it was quite the treat!

      Delete
  3. That all sounds so very delicious!
    I rather enjoy cooking and particularly looking for new recipes to try.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like to experiment too. I'm trying out more vegetarian meals.

      Delete
  4. I hear you about being bored with your own cooking. I've taken to trying to recreating meals from our favourite restaurants. Oh please share the cabbage casserole recipe (thanks) - I make Mr Man cabbage rolls & (1) so much work (2) so much cabbage left over. Oh eggs benedict - oh yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in layers. First a layer of cabbage, then a layer of rice, ground beef, tomato sauce and vegetables (like you would make for spaghetti sauce with half a cup of rice added) then repeat the layers. Finish with a third layer of cabbage. Pour 1 cup of stock or water over it all. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. I took it out after 45 minutes and topped it with grated cheese (just my preference) then finish cooking. I made it up from something I saw on Facebook so don't have exact quantities!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love scallops, and your meal sounds amazing. I too have gotten really bored with cooking these past two years, I am thinking about ordering Hello Fresh again, just to have some new recipes to try where they supply all the ingredients (cause I am bored with grocery shopping as well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! Haven't ordered in as it's hardly worth it for just one person.

      Delete
  6. Oooh! I haven't eaten lasagne in ages. I'm definitely going to cook one later this week. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using eggplant slices instead of noodles worked really well and less carbs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cabbage does seem to be the vegetable that goes on forever. I so wish I could eat scallops, but for some reason even though I can eat every other shellfish, I am allergic to scallops.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a shame, Jackie. So far (touch wood) I'm not allergic to anything.

      Delete