Recipes

Translate

Friday 4 February 2022

At Long Last

    Picked up a new book at the library yesterday and I am already well into it. It's the latest in the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon and I  have been waiting for it for several months. If you haven't read any (this is the ninth in the series) or seen the TV dramatization, you need to start with the first one and read them in order which I have done over many years. Each one is mammoth  (this one 880 pages!) and take her several years to write as they are meticulously researched. But I'm sure it will definitely be worth the wait.


    Today was a good day to get stuck into a new book. We are back into frigid weather and all I did today was shovel and snow blow. We didn't get as much snow as forecast but I still had to stop several times to defrost my hands. As I get older I seem to be more prone to getting completely numb fingers no matter how warm my gloves - the worst part is thawing them out as that can be quite painful. Luckily the rest of me stays quite warm when I am shoveling. It should warm up a bit by Sunday.

12 comments:

  1. Numb fingers are very painful! Glad the snow wasn't as much as it could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched some of the TV series. Are the books better? Warming frozen bits is very painful. Not that I have frozen any of mine due to snow but defrosting the freezer was enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! The books are much better - lots left out in the TV series. Jamie was a big disappointment when I saw him "in the flesh"!

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh! I didn't know there was a new one coming out. I shall have to put in a reserve at the library. (I've read all of them up until now). -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so long since I read the last one I had forgotten how it ended.

      Delete
  4. My fingers get cold when the rest of me is fine too - I've always put it down to getting older as well, as it never used to be a problem.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor circulation I think. Plus I have quite arthritic fingers which may also contribute to it.

      Delete
  5. I bought the book for myself as a Christmas treat. It's been on the coffee table since the start of December. I want to start but am afraid of being disappointed. The Fiery Cross took five tries to get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I am enjoying it. I only don't like when it when there is violence.

      Delete
  6. My fingers and toes get cold. If my feet are cold, my whole body is cold and takes a long time to get warmed up.
    When I was a child in England, I remember suffering from chilblains on my hands and feet, they were very painful.
    We did not get as much snow as forecast either, however, my sister got a lot.
    Nice and sunny this morning, but dark clouds are moving in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No clouds here yet. I sat outside in a sheltered spot for a while this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete