Recipes

Translate

Thursday 1 October 2020

A Special Day

    Just 16C for the high today and a rather chilly start for our tennis game. I was the big loser today - quite the opposite of Tuesday - but blame it on the sun being directly in my eyes, being left-handed. The courts run north-south and the sun is much lower in the sky at 9:00 a.m. now that the days are getting shorter.

   Yesterday was my birthday - I am now a year closer to 80, horrible thought! Judy came over with a tasty lunch and some treats just before noon, then Steve and Alison took me out for dinner to a local restaurant. It was a treat to eat out after 6 months of home cooked meals! I had their signature minestrone soup (it is our local Italian trattoria) and eggplant parmigiana. Steve had veal parmigiana and Alison had chicken and pasta. All were very good.

   I brought in the remaining tomatoes and dug up the last potato plant this afternoon as we are due for some frost soon. It has been a good harvest this year. 

They should continue to ripen over the next week or two.


The last of the Swiss Chard will go in tonight's supper dish.


10 comments:

  1. The last bits of produce look good! A very happy birthday to you! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn. It was a very low-key day.

      Delete
  2. It is always a sad feeling when the garden is all done for the season.

    Happy belated birthday.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have bulbs to plant - over-wintering garlic and grape hyacinths.

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday wishes Chris. You've had another bountiful harvest of tomatoes & potatoes. I calculated that I've made 605 meals since March 1st - we haven't eaten out or had take away since well before lockdown, but I feel ready to take a break of meal duty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated birthday wishes. The produce looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to the ripening tomatoes.

      Delete
  5. It's so sad when there is nothing much left in the garden and a long wait until next year.
    Belated Happy Birthday to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. A belated Happy Birthday! Sounds like a good day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather here is still so nice, it is a pleasure to get out in the garden.

      Delete