Recipes

Translate

Sunday 24 March 2013

Spanish Feast

   Golf courses and tennis courts are still covered by snow but today had the feel of Spring! I managed to do a little tidy-up in the yard where the sun has melted the snow, and examine some little shoots showing their first green stalks. I even saw where my rhubarb has pushed up a pink bud. The air seemed warmer, even though the thermometer was still registering in the low single digits. At least they were on the plus side!

   Yesterday was Spanish cooking class at the LCBO. The host was Chef Jose Arato, and he prepared tapas and a magnificent paella (forgot my camera again but it was quite spectacular). The tapas was a warm salad of roasted eggplant, zucchini and red pepper from the Catalan region. The paella included shrimp and octopus, both of which went into the pan frozen and were perfectly cooked in the time it took to cook the rice and other vegetables. He showed us how to use saffron, something I have been wondering about since I brought some home from Morocco. The lunch ended with a vanilla ice cream, which he made himself, over macerated berries  (in Madeira wine). All quite delicious. Each course was accompanied by a different wine tasting - the sweet one with the dessert was my favourite. Unfortunately, the wine made me sleepy and, as I was heading to the west end for a tea dance later in the afternoon, I put my head down when I got home, just for ten minutes.
     Forty minutes later I woke up and realized I was going to be late if I didn't leave home right away so it was a mad dash across the 401 to Brampton where, luckily, they were a bit behind schedule (there had been workshops in the morning) so I had time to change my shoes and make it to the ballroom (AKA school gym) before they called the first dance. Danced every dance, met some new partners and old friends, had a light supper around 5:00 p.m. and headed home tired but happy after a very busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment