Recipes

Translate

Monday 18 March 2013

A Sweet (and Sour) Treat

   A few days ago I made a batch of chutney that I think will be a staple in my fridge. It's a chunky mix with just the right elements of sweet and sour. I had it last night with a baked breaded Basa fillet and enjoyed the contrast to the crispy fish. Quinoa casserole and steamed broccoli rounded out the meal. Quite a gourmet experience! Here's the recipe.
    I had to cook it for quite a bit longer than specified to get the required consistency, however I did have it on a very low simmer (scared of burning it!). Also, I used brown sugar as I like the slightly molasses flavour you get with it.

Winter Fruit Chutney

3/4 cup quartered pitted prunes                       1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup quartered dried apricots                      1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 onion, chopped                                             1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tart apple, peeled and finely chopped           1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped drained, seeded, canned tomatoes
1/4 tsp. each black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt

In saucepan bring prunes and apricots and 1 cup water to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
Stir in all other ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 50 to 60 minutes or until thickened. Fill sterilized jars. Store in fridge after opening.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment