Recipes

Translate

Thursday 5 October 2023

Misnomer

    I really should not have named my blog "Days In My Life" as the days seem to hurtle past without me leaving any record of them! This has been a busy week but no excuse for neglecting my blog.

   Sunday was a post birthday party for moi and I was treated to a delicious brunch at daughter's house and lovely presents. Luckily tennis was cancelled that day as there was a tournament at the courts. We had mimosas along with the food which resulted in me requiring a nap once I got home. A quiet evening with just a phone call from my son on the west coast to celebrate my birthday.

    Monday was the Knitters and Crafters group in the morning and Bridge in the afternoon. I had to skip the lunch with the crafty ladies as I wasn't able to get a substitute for Bridge. Another quiet evening at home.

   Tuesday started with tennis and it was so blisteringly hot people were dropping like flies. It had been hot for several days but this one was extreme for October. I think it set a record of 31C. I managed three sets but was home to cool off by 11:00 a.m. Bridge in the afternoon was more comfortable as the community centre where we play still has their A/C on, thank goodness. 

   Wednesday it was still hot but I had decided to walk to the Seniors' Centre for my kitchen duty. The walk there was fine but coming home was a bit of an ordeal. It's only a 20 minute walk and is shady in parts (thankfully the trees still have their leaves) but I was relieved to get home. The only good thing about this recent hot spell is that the evenings have cooled off considerably so the house has been comfortable again by the morning. In the evening Susan and I had the Thanksgiving Special at Swiss Chalet, our fave place for eating out and it didn't disappoint!

    Today brought a change in the weather as it was overcast but still warm (low 20'sC) so we had a comfortable two hours of tennis this morning. Book Club in the afternoon saw only 9 of us ( I suspect quite a few were starting the long weekend early - next Monday is Thanksgiving) but nevertheless we had a lively discussion of "The Wish" by Nicholas Sparks. And the treats were to die for!

   Rain is in the forecast for the next few days and will be very welcome. The gardens are in dire need of a good soaking. I am still picking tomatoes and will get a few more zucchini but the rest of the garden is ready to be put to sleep for the winter. That will keep me busy and out of trouble!

6 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to you! Those very hot days were quite something! It was difficult to do work outside without feeling completely done in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love an Indian Summer but this hot spell was definitely more than that!

      Delete
  2. Sending along some belated Happy Birthday wishes. I am looking forward to a break in this heat & humidity & some rain, oh some much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much more pleasant today once the rain stopped.

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday wishes, it sounds as it you had a great day. I loved those hot days, my walk during that time was shaded by trees so it was quite pleasant. Enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend.

    ReplyDelete