Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 11 October 2023

A Cold Thanksgiving

    Monday was the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday and the weather was very unseasonable. Usually October is just an extension of summer but not this year! A bitter north wind combined with dull overcast skies made for a miserable weekend with temperatures in the low 'teens. In fact the overnight low was only 8C.  

The family were out of town for a couple of days so we had the Thanksgiving feast on Monday and a right lively event it was too! As you can imagine, with three teenagers, there's never a dull moment. Suffice it to say the food and the conversation were plentiful - pumpkin soup, turkey and all the trimmings (two kinds of potatoes) and pumpkin pie with whipped cream for dessert. Dave cooked the turkey in the BBQ and it was a sight to behold, brown and glistening and so tender! There also was white wine and oldest grandson made the pumpkin pie. After the meal I waddled home and had a nap then vegged in front of the TV for the rest of the evening. 

    I had to miss the Thanksgiving social at the tennis club which also was on Monday but I didn't mind as it was "pot luck" and the weather was so unpleasant that not too many showed up. I heard after that everyone was playing in their winter jackets! The following day, the end of the coffee socials at the same club, wasn't much better, a rather dismal end to the season but I did attend that and at least managed to shed one layer of clothing as the sun came out for a bit.  There was even some leftover food from the previous day's party so not a bad morning after all. Later this week the bubble goes up for the winter club but I don't plan on joining. It's pretty expensive.

    Since then it hasn't warmed up at all but I am sure we will have an "Indian Summer" later this month or even in November. One can only hope!

10 comments:

  1. I don't envy you heading into winter but give me another month or so when the hot weather arrives here and I will be wishing I was where it was cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was blue skies all round today and I had my jacket off while working in the garden!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my, that all sounds absolutely delicious.
    I think we have had our summer extension over here in the UK. It's been lovely but time moves on, doesn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been warmer the last couple of days and I have got lots done in the garden.

      Delete
  3. Monday sounds like it was a bountiful day, with good company & lots of food. I am trying to close up the patio & garden in between the rain & the winds, so I am also hopeful for calmer warmer days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We gave thanks for all the good things in our lives. I'm especially thankful to live in a safe, secure country.

      Delete
  4. The weather is unseasonably cold, like you hoping for a reprieve with Indian Summer (I don't like saying that anymore) before the Winter sets in. Food sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did wonder if that phrase was "politically correct"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can really tell winter will be arriving very soon here on the prairies. Thanksgiving wasn't too bad here in my little corner of the prairies, but boy have things cooled off now.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to get into November before it got really cold. I still have to plant my over wintering garlic! Tomorrow is to start at 8C, getting up to 12C.

      Delete