Recipes

Translate

Friday 20 October 2023

Eating Out

    I don`t eat out very often but this week was an exception - two events occurring in the same week! In fact I could have had two meals out on Thursday but common sense prevailed and I turned down one invitation.

   On Tuesday it was the monthly lunch at one of the retired teachers` groups I belong to. It was preceded by a craft sale with some of our talented crafters displaying their wares. This year it included baked goods by my friend Susan who had baked pies, tarts and cookies and was selling them at incredibly good prices. I bought lots and she almost sold out! The meal that followed was a delicious lasagna and Caesar salad with apple crumble for dessert. Any meal I don`t have to cook myself is always a treat.

   Thursday was my daughter`s 50th birthday (unbelievable, right! Where has the time gone). The six of us met at an Indian restaurant where we ordered several tasty dishes which we passed around to share. Some were a bit too spicy for my taste but I tried a bite of everything and drank lots of water to cool my burning mouth. Lots of lively conversation and jollity with the teenagers around the table so I was sorry to say goodbye (hugs all round) and make my way home. Judy sent me home with a slice of birthday cake which I will have tonight.




   The other meal on Thursday was lunch with some members of my Probus group following the meeting and speaker. Not all members opt to attend but it is usually a nice way to end the morning and socialize with new and old friends. Maybe I will attend next month. We had an excellent speaker this time (not all are!), her topic was "Agatha Christie and Archaeology". Who knew the great mystery writer was also very knowledgeable when it came to Egyptian artifacts?

    So, a busy week food wise but now I will have to eat more abstemiously to make up for all these extra calories!

10 comments:

  1. Wasn't she married to an archeologist? Your meals out sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she met her second husband on a dig. I generally only eat out once or twice a month so it was a real treat.

      Delete
  2. Was the speaker a prof from UofT? She did a talk for our speakers series at my church last year and it was very popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe so. What was the topic at your meeting? We'd like to have her back.

      Delete
  3. It's lovely to eat out occasionally. No washing up afterwards.
    Yes, Agatha was very interested in archeology and that comes through in several of her stories. Her second husband was a noted archeologist and she accompanied him on his digs. I would love to attend that talk; it should be extremely interesting, even more so when you know the books. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last speaker was rather boring so this was a big improvement!

      Delete
  4. Belated birthday wishes to your daughter. Having someone else prepare & clean up is such a treat. The birthday cake slice looks delicious. Dr Lucy Worsley has just recently released a book on Agatha Christie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying " Lucy Worseley Investigates". This week's episode on The Black Death was fascinating!

      Delete
  5. I also love eating out. No dishes, no clean up and I get to forget about my menu plan for a bit.

    I am glad that you had an interesting speaker. Boring speakers and I find myself drifting off to sleep. One of these days I might fall out of the chair I am sitting in.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually manage to stay awake if it is a morning lecture. Not so much in the evening!

      Delete