Recipes

Translate

Sunday 15 May 2022

A Big Decision

    I have come to the conclusion that I won`t be able to play tennis for the next few weeks. The splint on my finger (unfortunately on my dominant hand) is making it too difficult to hit the ball without pain, plus it has rubbed up blisters on the adjoining fingers which will never heal if I keep playing. I am sad to let my tennis friends down but we were already missing one who is on an overseas trip and scrambling each week to find a replacement. 

    Anyone who follows my blog will know that tennis is a major part of my summer but I will just have to content myself with watching matches on TV. Also there`s lots of gardening to do (I got in some tomato and kale plants this weekend) but that is also hampered by the splint (trying to keep it clean and dry) although not as painful.

   I am trying to be philosophical about my current woes - what`s one summer out of so many I have enjoyed on the tennis courts? - but am just praying that I will be able to salvage some time later on. Wish me luck!

14 comments:

  1. Bummer. Could you learn to play with the other hand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is too bad! I do hope you can ditch the splint soon and at least get back hitting the ball a bit even if you aren't up to full sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was playing fine until the splint was fitted. I don`t think it will be a problem getting back to playing.

      Delete
  3. Oh Chris I am sorry to hear this, but as you said, better to take just a few weeks to heal properly rather than creating more problems. Let's hope that you are bad fighting fit before season's end. Your orange tulips are such a treat ... like you, I look at some tulips in my garden & wonder did I plant or did the squirrels reallocate from a neighbour to my garden??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just taking a day at a time and appreciating what I can still do. The time will pass quickly.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to read this, however, fingers are so important when doing a lot of things, so best to take some time off from tennis, even though it is a big part of your life. Love the orange tulip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are brilliant, aren't they? As you say, fingers are important. I just hope my arthritis doesn't get worse.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you have thought it through. You'll be much happier being able to play unencumbered later on, than to risk playing hurt and causing long-term damage that could keep you off the court even longer. Said a quick prayer for your quick healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanne. I will take whatever good thoughts come my way.

      Delete
  6. Resting the finger is going to be tough, but you will soon be back playing tennis once all is healed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. Fingers crossed you are right.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! I know how much you love to play tennis, but it will be better for your finger to heal properly now than to cause any long term damage. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's certainly the last thing I need! I was finding two hours of tennis a bit much recently (especially in the heat) so maybe this is a good thing.

      Delete