Recipes

Translate

Monday 10 August 2020

The Inevitable Glut

    A scorcher today - high of 31C but the humidex (how hot the humidity makes it feel) was 41C! I was in the pool three times just trying to stay cool. No gardening until it cools off a bit.

   Tomatoes coming in thick and fast. I have picked half a dozen in the last few days and will have to get them eaten before the next crop are ready. Maybe some will have to be cooked and put in the freezer. I much prefer to eat the ones from the garden raw, in salads or bruschetta, but if needs must I will make a tomato sauce to use in the winter when the tomatoes in the stores are tasteless and expensive.



8 comments:

  1. Wow to the tomatoes. Can taste them almost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had some in a salad yesterday and now roasting one with my chicken dinner today.

      Delete
  2. Bountiful garden - those tomatoes look so yummy. Nothing beats a sun warm tomato made into a toasted tomato sandwich with lots of mao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to have that for my late night snack!

      Delete
  3. I love a glut - and they are amazing come the winter. A real taste of summer sunshine.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That may be my job tomorrow as they are piling up on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seemed like it took forever for our tomatoes to set on but set on they did and then they all got ripe at once! I ended up making some juice from what we didn't give away and couldn't keep up with. Kansas USA is HOT right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be so much better if they only ripened one or two at a time! Hot here too.

      Delete