Recipes

Translate

Monday 27 April 2020

Batch Cooking

   On Thursday I made a vegetarian lasagna from some (very ancient) noodles I found at the back of a cupboard. It was so good and, after two meals, the rest went in the freezer. Yesterday I used some (also very ancient) rice which I bought to make sushi years ago, and four Italian sausages, to make cabbage rolls. They were also very tasty and I will have a couple again tonight with the rest going in the freezer. 

   Both these meals are very labour intensive and I usually don't have the time or incentive to spend hours slaving in the kitchen but, with all the time in the world to kill, it was an excellent way to pass a quiet afternoon! I figure for two afternoons work and some garlic bread and a green salad, I probably have created 8 meals.  


The recipe is from "Lidia's Mastering the Art of Italian Cuisine". I used rice instead of the day-old bread.


This is the leftovers, ready for the freezer. Half the recipe made 8 cabbage rolls.

8 comments:

  1. You've been busy! It all looks really delicious and well worth the time spent.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both afternoons were a bit miserable so it cheered me up no end to have a project!

      Delete
  2. I need to have an afternoon or two dedicated to cooking, so that I can get ahead, because cooking every meal is beginning to wear on me. I have dealt with some very old pasta as well, and made the mistake of relying on time as a measurement instead of test tasting. It reminded my husband of my early days of cooking crunchy pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like my pasta just a bit past "al dente"!

      Delete
  3. Cooking has taken on a whole new meaning & from what I'm reading, it has been taken on by women. Plus meal time has become the focus of life 3 times a day ... I'll stop because I feel a rant coming on (lol). Your recipes both sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get motivated, cooking for one, but I am doing my best!

      Delete
  4. That looks good. I am starting to focus too much on food and eating these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's not much else to do but cook, is there?

    ReplyDelete