Recipes

Translate

Sunday 26 January 2020

Celebrating Robbie Burns


   

Second Burns supper of the year yesterday, this one a lunch for about 80 people at a local church. There was the piping in of the haggis, all the addresses, songs and speeches. We were part of the entertainment with some dances and audience participation. Today I am quite exhausted and had a long nap this afternoon. Hope I can sleep tonight.

   I have one more to attend on Thursday but this will be a much more low key affair at a retirement home. The residents won't be up to dancing so, after our dances, we will entertain with some Scottish melodies sung "a capella". I have been told just to move my lips as I am incapable of staying on key.

   Last week I bought a humungous cabbage - I like cabbage but chose the smallest I could find as it takes me forever to finish one. Tonight I have made a chicken and cabbage casserole which will probably do me three days. By then I will be sick of cabbage and won't buy it for another few months.

8 comments:

  1. A little cabbage can go a long way, I agree! Hopefully, you won't get sick of it though.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've had it boiled and braised but must make a cabbage slaw while it's still crisp.

      Delete
  2. We decided to have our Burns supper as Sunday lunch. As there was just the two of us there was no poetry or bagpipes! I made a Drambuie cream sauce to go with the haggis. Very tasty. I hope the entertainment at the retirement home goes well. I feel much the same about cabbage. I buy one occasionally because I think I should then it lingers around for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haggis with neeps and tatties was enjoyed here on Saturday too, followed by a wee dram and some delicious shortbread. I hope the celebration on Thursday goes well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like appropriate accompaniments to the haggis. I hope you read the Selkirk Grace and the address to the haggis.

      Delete
  4. I cheat and buy frozen cabbage as my husband won't eat it. It tastes fine for me so saves any waste!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've seen that here, but maybe I could freeze some before I get too fed up with it.

    ReplyDelete