Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 28 June 2023

Strawberry Fields Forever

   Smoky skies in T.O. at the moment from the forest fires in Northern Ontario and Quebec. I could smell the smoke as soon as I got up this morning and the light was quite yellow. We have been advised to stay indoors if possible but I see the sun has finally broken through so the air must be clearing.  

   I was out at the crack of dawn today to the PYO strawberry farm. There used to be several within a short drive but now there is only one and it is very popular. Seniors get to pick between 7:00 and 8:30 without having to make a reservation and it wasn't very busy which I prefer. It was rather muddy underfoot as we have had so much rain recently and my car is well and truly spattered with mud. The car in front of me got off the track and got stuck!

   Many of the strawberries were past their best from all the rain, I imagine, but I managed two basketfuls which is about all I can deal with. Normally I would make one batch of jam today and another tomorrow but I will be on a trip tomorrow so made both today. Now I am exhausted and there are still more berries to deal with. I will eat them and then freeze any that are still hanging around in a day or two.


The jars on the right are Strawberry and on the left Strawberry Rhubarb. That should see me through the winter.


    Can't get enough of the berries at this time of year! We can get strawberries all year round but the imported ones don't taste anything like fresh picked!

10 comments:

  1. Homemade strawberry jam, Yum. We had a storm on Sunday evening, heavy smoke blanketed the city, smelt awful, tried not to go outside. Better today,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried some of the jam this morning and it has set well. Air clearer this morning but I can still smell the smoke.

      Delete
  2. I made strawberry rhubarb jam for the very first time this year. Not a big strawberry fan, but Harvey loves them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rhubarb is doing well this year so I may make some rhubarb and ginger at a later date.

      Delete
  3. You have been busy. You'll be so thankful for the strawberry outing come mid December when you can enjoy the jam on Christmas morning ! I really enjoy home made strawberry jam & I'm thankful I have a friend that makes loads of jam & shares with me. The smokey haze & smell was really bad yesterday; this morning it is skunk wars out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! That's even worse. The haze had lifted this morning but blew in again around 4:00 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum. Fresh picked strawberries are so different from the floury shop bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it! Even the local berries in the stores are picked before they are properly ripe and just don't have that juicy yumminess of fresh picked.

      Delete
  6. This is the first blog in a row I have just read that mentions the smoke from the wildfires. Really not pleasant for you and I hope you get plenty of rain to dampen things down soon.
    I love fruit picking too. Round here we golden oldies can go between nine and ten without booking and it's a lovely time of the day. The raspberries are as delicious as the strawberries and I am really looking forward to the plums too - they are so good.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally the forest fires are further north and west. This is the first time in my experience that it has affected us.

      Delete