Recipes

Translate

Thursday 4 May 2023

May the Fourth Be With You

     This is what $50 bought me today at the local discount grocery store. I used some PC points and reduced it to $40 but still......



The coffee creamer was on special and, as you can see, I got 30% off the chicken thighs. Other than that everything was full price. The Boursin cheese was a treat to myself and was actually a little cheaper than usual due to the larger size container, 250 gms. instead of 175.

    This should do me until next Tuesday, my usual shopping day. Luckily, I still have plenty of food in my freezer to spin it out and will augment it with staples like lentils, porridge oats, raisins etc. I bake my own bread and have buns and croissants in the freezer too. I could have omitted the eggs as I still have four from last week but that's one thing I use a lot of and don't like to run out.

    I had already spent almost $20 at the local deli on some more treats for myself, smoked mackerel, Kalamata olives and my special nippy cheddar cheese. I can't imagine how people with large families manage, like my daughter who has three ever hungry teenagers!

10 comments:

  1. The cost of living is appalling. Good on you for treating yourself. I think families focus on the cheaper end of things, like cereal and bread, to fill growing bellies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's getting too expensive for many to eat a healthy diet.

      Delete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. I worry about our sons paying off their homes and purchasing groceries on top. This is why I take up at least one meal or pay for a meal when we visit. I often wonder how they are feeding themselves.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food banks here are seeing an increase in users.

      Delete
  3. I continue to be alarmed by the weekly surge in food prices here. I am grateful that we can still afford to eat quite well at the moment but I still baulk at the cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be hard for people on a fixed income to eat healthily.

      Delete
  4. Food prices are making eating a luxury these days. I had to do a little in between shop - I'm baking for the church tea party on Saturday. I nearly fainted at the price of some things. Even cereal is at a ridiculous price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've certainly being eating more simply recently.

      Delete
  5. Prices today are horrible!! Especially for people on fixed incomes!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! How do they manage? I guess by cutting back on healthy choices.

      Delete