Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 27 July 2022

Chaos!

    I was going to title this post "Problem NOT Solved" but, miraculously, today I was able to sign in on the first try. Fingers crossed this continues to be the case.

    The chaos in the title didn't occur to me personally but did affect me. It happened at the Senior's Centre where I volunteer in the kitchen on Wednesdays, dispensing tea, coffee and the occasional meat pie. It's usually an easy job and, in fact, I always bring a book to read during quiet spells.

   Today a barbecue was planned and fifty people had bought tickets. When it came time to start cooking the burgers, the outdoor gas BBQ wouldn't at first turn on and then refused to heat up. I think it had been tested beforehand but hadn't actually been used since before the pandemic. So a battalion of cooks descended on the kitchen and proceeded to fry, bake or microwave the burgers while an impatient group of seniors muttered and griped in the background!

    Finally everyone was fed although there were lots of complaints and blame going around but the worst part for me was the state of the kitchen when all was said and done. The clean up crew beat a hasty retreat and I was left with a messy stove and umpteen greasy platters. On the plus side, there was leftover salad which I purloined and will have for dinner tonight! My reward for not complaining about the extra work, I guess.

16 comments:

  1. Nothing scarier than a bunch of grumpy seniors! It was a bit rude leaving the clean up for you. I hope the salad was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit soggy by the time I got home (I walked) but I ate it anyway!

      Delete
  2. It's so frustrating when the hardware doesn't play ball, isn't it. What a time to choose to mess about too!!
    Thank goodness burgers cook pretty quickly!

    It was not kind to leave you with all the washing up though.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have left the cleaning up but I am rather particular about how I leave the kitchen after my shift.

      Delete
  3. I agree with the comments that it was very unkind to leave you to do the washing up alone. At least you had the salad to enjoy as a reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, they had worked extremely hard in hot conditions to get everyone fed!

      Delete
  4. Yeah for back up plans but I think hungry seniors can certainly test the patience of Job. It is funny how fast some can move to get out of helping clear up, but they'd be first in line for the kudos. Hope the salad was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were definitely flying by the seat of their pants to remedy the situation!

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, I can just see the whole thing. Sorry you did not have help cleaning up, but purloining the salad was a great idea.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a rather unfortunate situation but ended better than was expected.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are able to sign in, missed you. BBQ's are fickle contraptions, great way to cook when working properly. Hope the salad was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have a small portable BBQ at home but it meets my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! At least everyone got fed in the end. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, quite a feat all told!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I would definitely have felt a bit of panic in that chaos. I am glad that it all came together in the end, even if not ideal. I usually volunteer for the clean-up crew instead of the cooking crew for church events like that. I don't want to have to provide good customer service even to bad customers -- greasy pots and pans can't complain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the grand scheme of things it was no biggy. No one will remember the chaos in a month or two!

      Delete