Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 6 July 2022

Cooler, so got out the baking stuff

    I hate to have the oven on when it's hot and humid but today has been relatively cool and fresh so no problems there.

    I have had some puff pastry in the freezer for who knows how long so I dug it and some sausages out when I got home from the senior's centre. The pastry didn't look its best but rolled out OK and the sausage rolls came together nicely. But what to do with the leftover pastry? There wasn't enough for a double crust pie but I managed to line a pie plate with it.

   A quick dash into the garden and a plunder of the rhubarb patch produced enough rhubarb for a crostini (at least, I think that's what it's called). It's basically an open topped pie with the fruit dumped in the middle and the sides partially wrapped around it. A few dabs of jam on top and a final brush with a beaten egg and it was ready for the oven.




   They turned out not too badly and, with a salad, made a satisfying meal. Amazing what you can conjure up from the freezer and the garden!

10 comments:

  1. Mmmmm - that all looks so very delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying not to spend too much at the grocery store.

      Delete
  2. Liking the idea of the crostini, we have ridiculous amounts of rhubarb growing at the moment
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been better with regular pastry. The bottom didn't get completely cooked. But it still tasted good!

      Delete
  3. That meal looks yummy, love sausage rolls but, only the English ones for me. The sausage has more flavour than the ones here. Could make my own sausage as I do have a recipe somewhere.
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you buy English sausages? We have a Scottish bakery here but I'm not keen on their sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum sausage rolls. I could make some to have with home made soup for a winter meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them with baked beans but this time I made a salad.

      Delete
  6. It all looks so yummy ... I've got some Beyond Meat sausage that I could try making sausage rolls with ... you given me an idea for Sunday lunch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried making a vegetarian filling with mixed success. However, anything tastes good wrapped in puff pastry!

      Delete