Recipes

Translate

Thursday 13 January 2022

On My Bedside Table

    It was milder today - just around 0C - so I walked up to the library to collect books I had requested. If you don't pick them up after a week you are charged for them. Unfortunately three came all at once so I will have to get cracking!


   Amor Towles: I read his last two and enjoyed them immensely so I am looking forward to this one.

   Louise Penny:  Another Inspector Gamache crime tale. Always a good read.

   Richard Osman:  Another Thursday Murder Club adventure - very light reading.

  Val McDermid: I have been binge reading her this winter but this one has a plot line which she explored in another book - a climbing accident in which one climber dies after the connecting rope is cut. C'mon, Val!

   Lisa Jewell: Great story, highly recommend all her books. Very tense! 

   Patricia Cornwell: Started this one, a Scarpetti crime mystery. I  couldn't get into it but will try again when I have read everything else!

   Anne Perry: May send this one back until I have nothing to read. Didn't have to order it as it's from my home library.

  I'm always on the lookout for new authors so welcome any suggestions. Hope you find something worth trying in this list.

16 comments:

  1. You and I share reading tastes. I shall take note of these titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mostly crime and detective mysteries. I also like historical fiction but have had enough of books set in WW11!

      Delete
  2. Have you tried Stuart MacBride. Tartan Noire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh, I think I'd like that! Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. Be sure to let us know how you like the Amore Towles book. I enjoyed the first 2, but i think this one may be quite different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He writes so well I am sure it will be engaging but I'll let you know.

      Delete
  4. I've read both the Penny and the Osman books. I just reviewed the most recent Patricia Cornwell on my blog. I've just made note of a couple of the authors you mentioned. I could always use some more suggestions on good authors. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting with bated breath for the latest Diana Gabaldon book. Have you read any of hers? You have to read them in order.

      Delete
  5. My library book haul is on my post today!
    I wish I could get into Louise Penny and Val McD but have tried and just can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Val McD's Karen Pirie books as they are set in familiar places around Scotland. Some of the others, not so much!

      Delete
  6. Always appreciate book referrals. Thank you. I'll be interested to know what you think of Louise Penny's latest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a while until I get to it but I'll post my reaction.

      Delete
  7. I am reading Louise Penny's Gamache #17 and must saying I am getting a little tired of the series.
    Love Val, haven't read her in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Occasionally I feel the same about Penny but the last one set in Paris I enjoyed. I haven't read the one she co-authored with Hilary Clinton, the reviews were not great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love crime and mystery here as well. I just finished a Faye Kellerman novel (wife of Johnathan Kellerman another author) and have started a Tony Hillerman novel.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! New here... I have everything Anne Perry has ever written! Started reading her books in 1989.
    Thank you for the suggestions!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete