Recipes

Translate

Thursday 14 October 2021

What I Am Reading

    Great day on the tennis courts this morning! I was actually feeling too hot by the time we finished just shy of 11:00 a.m. Kathy was the big winner today after two sets but I was lucky enough to be her partner for the second set so basked in her glory!

   On to my current reading material:

Set in Glasgow, Scotland ( and in my home town of Bearsden) it's a rather dark but intriguing crime novel with a very twisted ending. Recommended.

Every book list is agog with reviews of Sally Rooney's latest novel but I thought I would start with an earlier one. Set in Ireland, the characters in this one are far from "normal" in my opinion and I recommend it with some reservations. 

Set in France this one is highly recommended by a friend but I am rather sated with WWII stories.  The characters are mostly stereotypical  (cruel Nazis, beleaguered Jews, downtrodden but brave French).

   I would say the Sally Rooney book is the most well written with The Nightingale a close second.


6 comments:

  1. I really enjoy Ian Rankin and so will keep an eye out for that one. Never heard of Sally Rooney but now you have peeked my interest.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give her a try and let me know what you think. It was a very different book from what I normally read.

      Delete
  2. I will read anything Ian Rankin writes!

    Have you tried Stuart MacBride? He writes about my hometown of Aberdeen, and no we're not all homicidal maniacs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will like this one! I haven't tried Stuart McBride. Over the summer I was reading anything by Val McDermid.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the book referrals. I'll check out with the library & get myself on the waiting list for some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be interested to hear your views on them. I really miss discussing books at my book club!

    ReplyDelete