Recipes

Translate

Saturday 9 October 2021

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

    The stove is still not fixed but a part has been ordered - to come in `two to five business days`! With this being the Thanksgiving long weekend that means it will be at least the middle of next week until I can cook again.

   What to do in the meantime? First I figured I could get by with my toaster oven and microwave. That was OK for a couple of days but limited my choices of meals. However, today I got out my crock pot and simmered a big batch of stew all day. It is almost ready and smells delicious! 

   Also I realized my rice cooker can be used to boil or reheat loads of things. Today it was soup from the freezer and tomorrow I will use it to prepare the roast potatoes for the Thanksgiving lunch. Luckily daughter is hosting the meal at her house but my roast potatoes are on the menu by special request. I like to parboil them first and will take them to her house to roast. I`m sure I will think of lots of other tasty meals using these appliances. 

   I am trying to be philosophical about the whole experience (leaky tap, wet basement, falling down fence etc.) but have come to realize I have plenty to be thankful for, especially to be able to celebrate the holiday with family.

5 comments:

  1. Hope everything is sorted for you soon and that you have a lovely celebration at Thanksgiving with your family and roasties. I love your creativity - perhaps you don't really need that stove!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thought did cross my mind but I realized I have no way to bake anything!

      Delete
  2. Well done for being so inventive. Hopefully you can get all those niggles sorted out quickly.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! I plan to stay optimistic.

      Delete
  3. Oh bother! There's always something isn't there. I hope it gets sorted very soon. X

    ReplyDelete