Recipes

Translate

Friday 18 July 2014

Pickling

   Up early this morning as I wanted to get the shallots pickled before I headed out to the tennis courts. First they needed to be rinsed and dried as they had been soaking in salt overnight. Then it was a quick process of boiling up some vinegar, sugar and spices, bottling them and filling the jars with the vinegar. I was done by 8:30 a.m. but now have to wait a couple of weeks before trying them.

Two jars each of pickled onions and beetroot - should keep me going well into the fall.


 
     I got to tennis quite quickly as the traffic was relatively light for once or maybe because I was a little later, everyone else was already at work. I had three good sets with reasonable breaks in between but it got quite hot and humid as the morning progressed. Jasmine had organized a lunch outing so I needed a shower and fresh clothes after I got off the court. Once we had cooled off we gathered at "Joey's" for a very convivial meal - all 17 of us.  It was fun to end the morning thusly - we should do it more often!

   A light dinner tonight - fish, quinoa  and a few vegetables - and definitely no dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment