Recipes

Translate

Friday 25 July 2014

Cooling Off

   We have had a few hot days but yesterday and today have been both cooler and fresher.

   Grandkids on Monday for a swim, tennis on Tuesday - I was "0n the board" that is organizing the sets using our name tags and a board with hooks, I will post a photo of it next week. So I didn't play until almost noon and it was really too hot to be enjoyable.

   Wednesday was catching up on chores and I did achieve quite a lot. First a trip to the mall for a few errands including picking up yeast. I  had gone to make bread last week only to find there was no yeast in the house, so had to make do with soda bread. This time I was out of bulgar so had to substitute oat bran and porridge oats. It actually was an improvement, came out very light and tasty, so I may do that again. Of course the temptation of newly baked bread was too powerful to resist so the loaf was half gone before I got it sliced and in the freezer!

   I also made a batch of strawberry rhubarb jam with some berries from the freezer and the last of the rhubarb. The berries were very soft and mushy when defrosted but I gave the jam an extra long boil and it seems to have set perfectly. I will know when I finally get around to eating it. I am still using up my 2012 jam, if you can believe it!

    Thursday and today tennis in the morning (nice cool fresh conditions) and then a bit of gardening in the afternoons - digging out the violets again. I thought I had got rid of them last year but they're back with a vengeance. The nights have been great for sleeping with the windows open and a cool breeze. long may it continue!

Last of the jam making for this summer - strawberry rhubarb.


Can't remember the name and it only lasts for one day, but it is magnificent!

Nothing better than picking a ripe tomato for your lunch - and then eating it still warm from the sun.

My one and only red pepper - will it ripen and be picked before the rabbits/squirrels/raccoons get it?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment