Recipes

Translate

Saturday 1 July 2023

Canada Day



     I was a little late putting up the flag today but, never mind, I was out all morning at the tennis courts for a round robin and lunch. It was very hot and humid and I only managed one set. In fact I felt quite nauseous after I came off the court and had to sit in the air conditioned lounge to recover, maybe a combination of the heat and the smoky conditions. I was amazed that people managed to stay out there for over an hour!

     We were served a lovely lunch of BBQ chicken and pork kebabs, potato and green salad and a special Canada Day cake. We all dressed in some combination of red and white, our national colours, and there were drills for those energetic enough to prolong their stay outdoors. Finally, some lucky draws but I didn't win anything this time.

    There was thunder rumbling around by the time I got home and a spattering of rain but not enough to soak the garden. At least it stayed away until after the festivities were over! I expect there will be fireworks this evening but I hope not too many as it would only add to the poor air quality. Our new normal, I guess.

8 comments:

  1. I am surprised you stay out for one set, it is very muggy here, not much smoke today.
    Sounds like a lovely lunch which was enjoyed by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was put on by volunteers at the club. They did a great job.

      Delete
  2. Happy Canada Day from Manitoba

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely day, despite the heat and the smoke. Well done for managing a set and I'm glad you were able to recover and enjoy the rest of the celebrations. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was much better, We managed three sets with lots of rests in between.

      Delete
  4. Happy Canada Day. Wonderful that you got a few sets in for tennis. I love seeing all the flags out for Canada Day. There were a lot of backyard fireworks & "camp" fires going in our neighbourhood. I cannot believe with all the warnings of air quality there hasn't been a ban on backyard fires ... I'll say no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't have the backyard campfires here as far as I am aware. I did read that fireworks are only to be set off on Victoria Day and Canada Day but I would imagine it would be very difficult to enforce!

      Delete