Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 29 March 2023

Weird Weather

    I had a busy day but the weird weather only interfered with the latter half.

   Spent the morning at home but went out for a lovely buffet lunch (chicken pot pie, quiche and salads, and yummy desserts) at the seniors' centre, courtesy of our local Amica retirement home. I would love to retire there (even just for the food which was excellent) except that I heard the monthly fee is $6,000 to $7,000! Yikes!!

   The home has every amenity imaginable so everything is included and that really does mean everything. You can even book a room to entertain family. However, I would run through whatever I gained by selling my house very quickly at that rate! But it was interesting to hear how "the other half" live. The meal and presentation were followed by musical entertainment with many of the younger seniors up on the dance floor but I was too full to participate.

    After a brief stop at home for a nap, I dropped in on a friend to take care of some paperwork as we are colleagues on a couple of committees. While on my way there, and she lives quite close, a strong snow squall blew through turning everything white again and dropping the temperature several degrees. I wasn't properly dressed for this sudden change in the weather so got quite chilled.

     Soon I was on the road again and drove through the squall to our local Conference Centre for an RPW (retirement planning workshop). My days aren't usually so jam packed but I was there on behalf of our local branch of RTO (Retired Teachers of Ontario) to try to recruit new members and answer questions about our programs and activities. Another substantial buffet meal (sandwiches, wraps and salads as well as some tasty desserts and fruit) took care of dinner so now I am just having a mug of herbal tea and a couple of chocolate brownies, which fell into my purse from the buffet table, before heading for bed. I will have to pay for all this over indulgence by eating sparingly tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. Hahaa...fell into your pocketbook??Lol
    The prices for those places are ridiculous! How sad...
    Stay warm!
    hug
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of the wild weather we had a smaller number attend so there was a ton of food left over.

      Delete
  2. At the rate & cost of a good retirement home, I think I'll be moving in with the raccoons in the neighbours' shed! Both the lunches sound so delicious & it is funny how brownies have no balance & just fall into a purse or bag (lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same as cookies who lose all their calories when they are broken in half!

      Delete
  3. Oh my! I guess there must be people who can afford those places, but we won't be amongst them. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those prices aren't that far out of line with what we see here in some parts of the US, but great food is usually not the norm at them.

    ReplyDelete