Recipes

Translate

Tuesday 19 March 2024

Welcome Spring!

     It started snowing around noon and has kept it up all afternoon. Mother Nature sure knows how to keep us on our toes! 



   I don't imagine it will stick around too long although more is forecast for Friday. More on that later.

    Today was the retired teachers' lunch and we had an interesting speaker after the meal. Everything was "tea" related including the silent auction items (I didn't bid high enough so came away empty-handed) and we learned a lot about the origins of tea and more tea-related customs. Did you know how the "milk in the cup first or last" debate came about? Well, according to our speaker it started when cups were made of a very delicate porcelain (this would be in 14th century China) that couldn't take extremely hot liquids and if the tea went in first they were likely to crack. You learn something new every day. Best part of the (rather uninspiring pasta) meal was the chocolate brownie dessert which was luscious and to die for! The Caesar salad before the pasta was good too.

    Now I will just have a bowl of soup and a BLT for dinner. Hope there's something worth watching on TV tonight!

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know that! How interesting, thank you.

    Somehow, that slightly melting snow looks chillier than the 'real' powdery stuff. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a very heavy sky which probably accounts for the chilly look. I came home and had some herbal tea with my supper!

      Delete
  2. I shouted out the window at the snow falling all day (Tuesday) "OK Old Man Winter, you had 4 months to show up, now is not the time" I haven't had a really good Caesar salad in so long. There was one local restaurant that made the best, but alas Covid closures did them in :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have Caesar salad at Swiss Chalet as theirs is good too. More flurries today and set to be frigid until the weekend. Can't wait for Spring!

      Delete
  3. I have heard of the milk first story before and I still do that now.
    We have a light dusting of snow, more to come at the end of the week. Old Man Winter, it is Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take milk in my tea as it's usually herbal. I think we are all ready for some milder days.

      Delete
  4. I had heard the reason for putting the milk in first, although I can't remember where from. I suppose it depends how you make your tea. I brew mine in the mug.
    It's turned rather chilly again, today. I think we're forecast snow on the fells at the weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't really feel like Spring yet, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had snow yesterday and a bit more to come just when people are coming home for the Easter holiday. I am glad that the amount that was supposed to fall has been reduced. You got about as much as we did.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never heard the milk in the cup first thing either. Makes sense though.
    Ugh - snow on the cusp of spring. Most unwelcome.

    ReplyDelete