Recipes

Translate

Wednesday 14 December 2022

The Mandarin

     Forgot to put the memory card back in my camera so no photos that I am able to transfer but I did have an enjoyable outing last week, the first of many over the Christmas season.

   The seniors at the community centre where I attend fitness classes and volunteer in the kitchen had a special event planned for them last week, a lunch with entertainment at our local Chinese buffet restaurant. It was subsidized by the Executive so we had an all-you-can eat meal for just $15!

   I have learned over the years to be very careful at this type of eatery as my eyes are inevitably bigger than my stomach! So, I started carefully with a plate of sushi (very tasty and probably worth almost the whole $15) followed, after quite a lengthy pause with some typical Chinese dishes (no rice or anything else too filling) and a small salad plate. I almost blew it with the dessert as the choices were so yummy, but managed to limit my selections to cheesecake, creme caramel, fruit and just one piece of Nanaimo bar. There was unlimited green tea to wash it all down and I didn't feel too inordinately stuffed.

   The music teacher from the centre provided the entertainment on his guitar and we lustily joined in as he played Christmas songs. Finally there were lucky draws but our table was the only one not to have any of our numbers drawn (we suspect the fix was in). However, that didn't affect our enjoyment of the treat and we all went home happy.

   Needless to say, I needed a nap when I got home and, much later just a very light dinner. There are still three more eating events before the big one on Christmas Day but I will continue to consume lightly until then. And that's not even counting today when the ladies in the Art class at the centre invited me to share in the treats (more sushi!) they had brought to celebrate their last day of classes. Dare I weigh myself tomorrow?

9 comments:

  1. I initially thought you had been invited because you volunteer and then I realised that you were, perhaps, one of the seniors! Your social life is certainly busy. You can diet in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our "seniors" range in age from 60 to 80+. I don't think there are too many in their 90's but there may be one or two. These are all people living independently and just using the centre for recreation.

      Delete
  2. What a fun outing & great that you got some of the expense paid for. May I suggest sending the scales on a holiday until after the 15th of January (col). Sounds like you have a very full social schedule for the rest of the time in the run up to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a bit hectic at this time but I am looking forward to a couple of days at home while the weather is bad.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I was so pleased I didn't overeat, just had a little taste of all my favourites.

      Delete
  4. Love the sushi at that restaurant, I usually choose dishes I don't make at home and just have small portions. Glad you had such a nice time. Scales are tampered with by elves and do not tell the truth during the holiday season, wait until they go back to the North Pole and the curse has expired. Enjoy your outings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to know that about the scales. I will definitely ignore them until the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I drove past the Mandarin the other day and the car park was busy. Not sure if I am comfortable still eating in one of those busy restaurants yet. Did you feel safe?

    ReplyDelete