Recipes

Translate

Tuesday 21 February 2023

Shrove Tuesday

      Although I am not religious, I still observe this custom as it gives me an opportunity to re-assess some of my bad eating choices by cutting out certain items (i.e. chocolate and alcohol) for a few weeks. So, I will be "dry" until Easter  and may even save some money into the bargain!  

   I was all set to attend a Pancake Breakfast at the Community Centre - had my $5 ticket - then realized it was the same day as the Retired Women Teachers lunch, which I had already paid for! No contest which one to choose and I managed to unload the $5 ticket to a friend. I'm sure she enjoyed the camaraderie of a shared breakfast with friends.

   The lunch, at our local country club (Tam Heather, Google it), was quite delicious although we had to share a space with the curlers who were out in force. Seemingly there was a Bonspiel in progress and much jollity when it finished. No matter, by that time we were well fed (lovely salad and the most tender stuffed chicken, plus cake and coffee) and our speaker had a loud voice!

    So now it's a time of abstinence and mindfulness, to refresh my body and my spirits with a little self-control. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Bother. It's Wednesday here which means I could have had pancakes with impunity yesterday. Your lunch sounds truly delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually have any pancakes on Tuesday but may make some on the weekend.

      Delete
  2. Any excuse to have a few pancakes.
    I'm already on SW and low spend so I'm not sure what I could 'give up', were I so inclined. Maybe I could focus on a bit more mindfulness - if I can work out what that actually means.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it to mean being aware of your body, the physical and mental aspects, and behaving so that they are enhanced.

      Delete
  3. I'm all for mindfulness & certainly I will be needing to practice that during the next 40 days & nights. Sounds like a lovely lunch & speaker to kick off your Lent. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete