Recipes

Translate

Sunday 1 January 2023

Mid-winter Blahs

    Occasionally, here in Ontario, we experience a January thaw but this year has been quite out of the ordinary. For one thing the January thaw actually started in the last week of December.

  Despite having a fair amount of snow last month, we now have none! Everything is green and only a few piles of shoveled snow remain in spots. It seems quite incongruous. I do recall one winter some years ago when we stayed at a friend's chalet with hope of spending the week between Christmas and New Year skiing. It rained almost every day and needless to say the hills were a washout, but most years it is much more what we expect at this time of year - snow and more snow!

   I didn't manage to stay awake to bring in the new year in proper Scottish fashion - I still haven't had my "First Foot", perhaps I will ask the mailman to bring me good luck by stepping over the threshold tomorrow, I know he's tall and dark - but I did drink a toast (of Caramel Bailey's) before I retired!

    Now I'm enjoying the traditional New year's Day concert from Vienna with the Vienna Philharmonic and the Vienna State Ballet. Beautiful!

   My wish for all my readers is to have a safe, healthy and prosperous year in 2023. Think I'll go and have another small glass of Bailey's.

12 comments:

  1. A ver happy new year to you as well! First footing was our own son, tall and dark haired. - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still can't log in and still haven't had my First Foot! Maybe tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I wish you a very safe, healthy and Happy New Year. Grab that mailman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, JayCee. The mailman avoided me again today.

      Delete
  3. Another small glass of Bailey's sounds an excellent idea! Happy New Year to you and may the large amounts of snow stay away! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still just rain and no snow until the weekend, so I'm happy. The Bailey's is almost gone - a nightcap of it really helps me get to sleep!

      Delete
  4. Yes, that's allowed. Hope you slept in on New Year's Day - I would have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a 2023 full of blessings.

    ReplyDelete