Recipes

Translate

Friday 20 January 2023

Eating Out

    I have been very naughty this week, overindulging at the expense of my bank account. Normally I eat out, at the most, once a week and some weeks not at all, so this trend is rather troubling.

   Tuesday was the monthly retired teachers' lunch which I had already paid for by cheque. It was lasagna and salad with rhubarb pie and coffee for "afters". The speaker was "Officer Bob" (I think I have mentioned him before, his topic this time was Romance and other scams specifically aimed at seniors. He's quite funny while imparting an important message.

   Wednesday was my youngest grandson's 13th birthday (all three are now teenagers and quite a handful (glad I'm not either of their parents). I was invited to dinner to help him celebrate and it was steak, roast potatoes, salad and a green veg followed by yummy birthday cake. The conversation at the table was lively, to say the least, and ranged through a variety of topics which were all hotly contested. I barely got a word in edgewise! That meal just cost me his birthday present (money) and a card so I got off lightly.

     On Thursday I attended the Probus meeting and was persuaded to join some friends for lunch afterwards. Six of us went to a local all-day breakfast joint which I had been to before and knew to order lightly as the helpings are enormous! Even then I still had to bring some home for dinner - I had Spanakopita and it wasn't even that good, but I ate it all regardless so I didn't have to cook any dinner that night. It cost more than I thought it was worth but I gave the waitress a nice tip as she treated us well. I don't think I'll go back there again.

    So now my waistline and my wallet need a bit of a break so I will be eating and spending less next week.

   One bonus - I picked up a Tim Horton's coffee before the Probus meeting (our coffee break is still cancelled and I had gone there straight from my Yoga class) and had earned enough points to get my "small decaf double-double" free!

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes a person needs a break from cooking. I hope you enjoyed all the meetings and the birthday party.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the most social I have been in months!

      Delete
  2. We have been away for a few days and having one or two bought meals and some quick standby meals and I am certainly looking forward to getting my normal amount of veg and fibre again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was definitely low on veg. I'm having a load of spinach tonight!

      Delete
  3. A break from routine is always nice, but also good to get back to the regular one too. Glad you enjoyed the birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a lively time with the grandkids!

      Delete
  4. All your naughtiness sounds quite fun. I love a place that serves breakfast all day. I have had a week of eating out, and my waistline is really reflecting it. Hopefully it will only take a week of eating in to reverse it, but I fear more will be required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I weighed myself yesterday and haven't gained at all!

      Delete
  5. It seems that you had fun in your outings. I sure you will be back on track soon. IMO January is definitely a month to do a few indulgences; it's a long month & this January has been quite dreary overall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely needed a little pick-me-up!

    ReplyDelete